Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Well you know - we all want to change the world

Everytime I hear the first few lines of "Revolution" I think back to my freshman year when it was the motto for GDS and the Service Station would send out phone messages with it blaring off someone's stereo in the background. I had a special tradition for GDS: go as hung over as humanly possible. And every year I outdid the last! Hey, if you had to be anywhere at 7am on a Saturday in college you'd be hungover too - admit it.

I must have made a good case for more affordably priced boy dress clothes to the cosmos because I happened across a rad sale at Gymboree yesterday. Joey is now outfitted for several weeks of church and any number of emergency family occasions. If only we hadn't left his leather dress sandals on my in-laws' boat a couple of weekends ago....

I am on the hunt for affordable maternity clothes that don't look like circus tents. Mostly tops, since I have two Tummy Sleeves, one in white and one in black, that I wear with my jeans every day. However, I have a baby shower to go to this weekend and I'd like to look nicer than jeans and a t-shirt that fits like I'm just fat and not wearing my correct size (kind of a pet peeve of mine). Also, what the hell is the deal with maternity clothes that 80% of everything has to be sleeveless? I don't want to show off my arms, thank you - they are not my best asset. And that cardigans to then cover up the sleeveless-ness must be super expensive and hard to find? I have Kohl's, Ross, Old Navy, and Burlington on my list of places to go tomorrow but the shower is Saturday!

Not that anyone asked, but I'm feeling tons better. The debilitating vertigo-inducing nausea is all but gone! I must still nap sometimes twice a day and make sure I'm snacking or I may bite your head off instead, but I feel pretty good. It's a relief to me, anyway. And so far the only thing I crave is ice water. If someone can find some old wives' tale where craving ice water means you're having a girl it would be greatly appreciated.

You know, I'm not really ashamed of saying that we'll be a little disappointed if we don't have a girl this time around. Anyone who knows us knows that we love being parents and we will welcome any child into this world with love, compassion and warmth. But we want to add a little girl to our family! There's nothing wrong with that. But when people ask if we have a preference and we say a girl it's like there's a whole conversation that stems from that but is never said. And some people go ahead and say "Well healthy is all that matters," like that's not first in our hearts everyday for nine months and everyday thereafter for the rest of forever. It just bugs me that people take "We want a girl" to mean "We won't love a boy". We didn't get pregnant to have a girl, people. We got pregnant to have another baby.

And my dog needs a bath.

2 comments:

Wiley said...

Lots of pregnant women are really hot, thus all the sleeveless tops.

Lauren said...

I hear you loud and clear about the expensive/sleeveless maternity clothes :( Perhaps your internet pleas will appeal to the same cosmos that helped with the little boy clothing (*fingers crossed*)

Glad you are feeling better