Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A seven nation army couldn't hold me back

I want to throw up on your face right now.

Please don't take it personally, it's just the state of normalcy around here. I feel like shit. Then I nap, and 80% of the time I don't feel like shit for at least 3 hours following said nap. Then it starts all over again.

So this past Friday was a beautiful day here in Fort Worth: sunny, hot, not too many clouds in the sky, a little wind. I was running errands near the base and I saw this line of smoke coming from a plane that... oh my gosh... was heading straight for the ground. Like, no control nose down vertical falling to the ground. But nothing happened, and I didn't see the plane anymore. I went into the craft store and saw a huge poster for a free airshow on Saturday at the base. Duh! They were just practicing!!! So I call the husband and he's been watching them practice all day and we talk about going, but I have more errands to run and the discussion is tabled until he gets home. I took Joey to get his hair cut and while we're waiting in the reception area I hear this BOOM-whoosh! sound and then this weird feeling like everything in the salon (including the windows) bowed inward and then returned to normal. Turns out they were flying the F-18 and getting it to the fine line right before breaking the sound barrier and they must have pushed a little too hard because what I heard and felt was a sonic boom.

So we're all set to go see the airshow and then overnight... the rain came. And didn't leave. So we're constantly checking the website and we go get Joey a raincoat (but not rainboots because we obviously weren't taking into consideration that when rain falls it makes puddles and will soak right through Converse and socks) and an umbrella and headed out to the base. We got to look in a bunch of planes, and put Joey in a few. It was pretty cool. We got to go in the plane that the husband works on for the Air Force, the kind he rides all over the world in. Let me just tell you - it's not even remotely comfortable looking. There's wires and stuff all over the ceiling and walls, the seats fold down from the perimeter, and then all the gear goes in the middle. And it's so loud, he says, you have to wear ear protection when you ride it. I can't even imagine.... Then again, I go green even driving into an airport. If I have to fly somewhere I have white knuckles the entire time (they went numb when I flew non-stop to New York) and I'm grey when I get off the plane. So not only am I proud of my husband's service, I think he should get a gold star sticker for surviving those flight conditions.

Anyway, we were really unsure if we were going to see airplanes fly that day, but the sky cleared up a little and we got a totally super awesome rad show. The Doctor lent Joey her ear protector headphones (I don't really know why she had them in the first place) so when the F-16 and F-18 started flying Joey looked super cool. There were stunt flyers, a biplane, a B-52 flew over (8 engines!) - it was really cool. Joey even kind of paid attention, too. The F-18 did that thing like the day before, and right before a sonic boom the entire plane gets enveloped in this weird bubble thing. It was so cool.

So towards the end of the show Joey has to go to the bathroom. All they had was... porta-potties. Thankfully the husband took him in one hand and hand sanitizer in the other. Ugh. So they're gone for a little while and when they come back Joey has a gigantic hot dog in his hand, holding his daddy's hand and hopping along looking like the happiest kid in the world. It was enough to almost move me to tears. Turns out the hot dog stand was closing and had six hot dogs left so they gave one to Joey. It wasn't even a hot dog, really. It was a whole sausage link on a huge bun. He was so happy with it, though. So the show ended and we were walking back to the car and he's just chowing down. He finished it and was talking to us about the planes and then he stopped and held out his hands and looked around and said "Hey! Where's my food?!" In all seriousness, he had forgotten that he already finished it and thought we had heinously taken it from him. The husband said "You finished it, buddy. You ate the whole thing." And Joey almost fell apart. Poor kid, we were laughing so hard and all he wanted was his hot dog back.

No comments: