Friday, April 17, 2009

The Baby Fever

For my first post in what I hope is a long relationship with this blog, I am going to put something out into the universe. It's crazy, it's nonsensical, it's kind of like a unicorn...

I want another baby.

Not just kinda want, thinking about it and all the extra sexy time I'll get to spend with my husband - I REALLY want another baby. I crave the swollen ankles, the sleepless nights, the always sickness (because I refuse to say "morning"), every gross part of pregnancy. I'm so down with it. I was on bedrest for about half of my first pregnancy, and if I had to do it with a second I would even handle that with all the grace I could muster.

Okay... probably not. I would bitch and moan the whole time, but I would do it. That counts, right?

This is not a new notion in my household. We were a little ahead of the curve with our son in relation to our friends (read: he was a surprise), but now it seems like everyone we know is having kids. So we've been talking about it for a while and now we really think we're ready. After visiting my friends from college and their newborn daughter and infant son, after having held aforementioned newborn, my husband comes up to me and says real smooth-like, "I want another baby." And he looked too cute, how could I say no? We discussed it at length and decided it was time to start trying. That was about 3 months ago and so far, no baby. But it sure is fun trying! I've been excited, I had the itch to get pregnant and give my son a sibling but until today I have not had the fever that hit me like a ton of bricks while shopping. I think the story actually begins the day before yesterday....

My son woke me up completely naked. Him, not me. Turns out he had an accident in the early morning, after my husband left for work at 5-something. I asked him what the deal was and he said "Well...." I want to pause here a moment and let you know that if you ever ask my son something and he starts with "Well..." you might as well sit down and get ready to pee in your pants laughing. Which usually makes him cry (you laughing, not you peeing in your pants), but it's worth it. Anyway, he said "Well... I peed in my drawers and I told my dad but he didn't say nothing." So I led him downstairs to get him dressed, get him breakfast, and head to the gym before the rest of our day started. Not so. He had no clean underwear, which is why he was chilling out naked in my bed at 7 in the morning. Then he said "Mommy, can I have some breakfast please? I am very very hungry." It being before I had been awake for 5 hours, he could have asked me to do anything and I would have done it, dragging myself around the house mumbling "...brains..." until I remembered how to make coffee. So sure, Joey, Mommy will ignore the fact that you're naked and make you breakfast before starting your laundry to wash. Sure, Joey, Mommy will stop gathering your clothes to put in the washer to make you another egg without batting an eyelash at you sitting at the table naked as the day you were born (albeit a little cleaner). 3 hours later we had clean underwear on and I made a vow to go buy more, stat.

Which brings us to today and the baby fever. I was in the store, on the phone with my mother, picking out underwear for Joey. He chose two characters and I was repeating the Naked Joey Story to my mother. And she says "I think it's time..." about three times. And after she said it each time I would say "Time for what?" thinking she would answer me. I guess she didn't want to be that mother that drops hints about having more kids or whatever, which is odd because she is the mother who "complimented" me about not looking so bloated the last time she came up to visit. So after the fourth time through the "I think it's time" routine she finally said "I think it's time for Joey to have a permanent playmate". I told her I totally agree and ventured into the baby section to get a bottle brush to wash my husband's Thermos. And I saw them. They were beautiful and drew me in and forced my hand to pick them up for a closer look. They were glass bottles! Apparently the BPA-tainted bottles I fed my son with for over a year were no longer safe and everything in the baby aisle read "BPA FREE!", including the glass bottles. They were so pretty I was entranced into almost buying them but I snapped out of it and was still talking to my mother and then on my way out of the baby section I saw a really pretty diaper bag and said so over the phone and then I said "I have GOT to get the heck out of here" and left the store. While pulling out of my parking spot I saw yet another beautiful sight. He was wearing Converse sneakers, snug-fitting jeans, an artsy t-shirt, had hair down to about his jawline... he was holding a tan and pink baby carrier. He also caught me drooling in my car, attempting to drive it in a straight line. As I drove off I thought about it, and I had a revelation: My husband could totally be that guy!

I have been waiting for my husband to get home all afternoon.

No comments: