Monday, April 20, 2009

Lynchburg Lemonade, anyone?

Is 3 years old too young to let a child play outside in a fenced backyard unattended? I leave the door open and never go further than the living room. Also, I send out Izzy the Guard Dog with him; she is very protective of Joey and would definitely alert me if someone was coming. I really think it's okay and am confident in my furry alarm system.

Guess what I just found out? My brother-in-law is coming home this week from overseas for some R&R! Totally excited. Guess what else? My husband has to do National Guard duty this weekend and won't be able to join us on our trip to go see him. Doesn't that suck?

Man, we used to have some good times when my husband and I were dating. I lived in the sorority house and my eventual husband would come and stay for days at a time and when we had parties his brother would come, and man was that kid wild! The Doctor used to mix him whiskey sours to his heart's content and one time he got up off the couch to head to the bathroom, took two steps down the hallway and fell flat on his face. Ah, the good old days of binge drinking and reckless behavior sanctioned by uniform Greek letters sewn across our chests....

I do miss it, though. I think sometimes I wasn't ready to stop partying and everything when I had to. I wanted to live alone, live up my 20's, be fabulous and not worry about anything. Travel, be social, dance and shop. But then I think that if I had been able to do all that I wouldn't have everything that surrounds me right now; a wonderful loving husband, a beyond cute kid, and the best dog ever created. So I'll just forget about what could have been and relish every moment of what is. And this October at my 5 year college reunion I'll slap those letters back on my chest and live it up.

Have a safe trip, Uncle Oompa Loompa!

2 comments:

La said...

Have an extra drink (or 2) for me. Looks like we will be birthing a baby instead of partying like rockstars at said college reunion.

A. said...

That's a fucking shame. What good is a 5 year reunion without Bitch Party of 2(and a half)? Who knows - I could be knocked up by then, too... knock on wood.